The collection is housed in an industrial building constructed in 1926 which covers a total surface of 3500 m². A concrete skeleton divides the volume in two large open spaces, topped by an authentic pointed wooden roof. The museum consists of three separate floors and a mezzanine. In the part of the building above the entrance hall, there are five self contained spaces where separate installations can be exhibited. There is also a spacious project room, constructed in 1942 and arched by a concrete barrel vault.
Between February 2005 and July 2006, the architecture studio Robbrecht & Daem from Ghent executed the structural renovation of the site and the building of a partially new construction. The architects opted for a very modest approach for which they took as their basic principle: ‘Im Mittelpunkt Kunst’.